Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Kim does not limp when she gets up or when going out

Customer Question

Kim does not limp when she gets up or when going out for walk rests and then limps on black paw and white one she does not seem to put her weight on it but then she will run down the garden ok have massages legs and felt down both legs and not a flinch she has had metacam and seemed to get better but then being silly staffie she does something silly and we seem to have gone back to square one. Do not want to put her through e rays if we can help it as she gets so distressed at the vets and when she is away from us.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
HelloI am sorry to hear you are worried about Kim. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. How old is Kim? Has she seen a veterinarian for this problem? Which leg or legs does she limp on? Front or back? How long has she had this problem? This is an Info Request, to help me answer your question. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Kim 4 / front leg/has seen vet/few months but did get better with metacam/
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information. The first thing I do when I see a dog for limping is carefully go up and down the leg, testing every toe, joint, and bone for a reaction, to try to find out where the problem is. Just feeling along the leg is not enough; I flex and extend each joint (including the 3 joints in each toe) and put fairly deep pressure over the bones and joints with my hand. Usually this will tell me where in the leg the problem is and once I know that, I know how to proceed. An Xray is always a good idea; for instance, if she has elbow dysplasia, only an Xray will tell us that. If this were my own young dog, and I wanted to be sure she is not going to be lame for the rest of her life, I would try to get an exact diagnosis of the problem so I know the best treatment. In addition to Metacam, you could try giving joint supplements like fish oil and glucosamine. There is an herbal supplement I really like that you can get online called DGP, Doggone Pain. Let me know what else I can answer or help with.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
How is Kim doing? Can I help with or answer anything else? Rebecca