Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I am dog sitting . The dog, a 10 year black lab type , orig

Customer Question

I am dog sitting . The dog, a 10 year black lab type , orig from Italy, is limp, droopy and dull eyed, wags tail feebly,occasional coughing, now stopped. Nothing to eat since bfast, not drinking. Large pooh late afternoon, of normal appearance. Yesterday we had a wasp nest destroyed and the dog was seen to snap at a wasp< perhaps eat it? poison or sting? Today dog has had 3 walks, none longer than half mile, Concern because it's not my dog , I only know it slightly. The owner reports a penchant for wasp eating! i'd be grateful for your advice.

1 hour later. Dog has clenched mouth and still refuses to drink

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I am sorry to see that you have been waiting quite a while for a response. I believe that is because yours is a tough question with very vague symptoms, and there could be so many reasons for what you are seeing.While an allergic reaction from a wasp sting could lead to nausea and a loss of appetite I would also expect to see facial swelling and/or hives which you aren't reporting.Possible causes of a lack of an appetite include a change in diet, dietary sensitivities or allergies, or eating things that they should not like too many fatty table scraps or garbage, bones etc. Metabolic organ failure (kidney or liver disease), Addison's disease (hypoadrenocortisim), pancreatitis, inflammatory bowel disease, an abdominal mass, or even infiltrative cancers are other possible causes. To help with gastrointestinal upset you can give either: 1) Pepcid ac (famotidine) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 9 to 20 kilograms of body weight every 12 hours OR 2) Prilosec (omeprazole) at a dose of one 10mg tablet per 20 to 40 kilograms of body weight every 24 hoursThese are acid reducers and should help him feel more comfortable. They are quite safe and can be used for a few days if needed. In some cases dogs remain on them long term if this is a repeated problem.I understand that he isn't eating so it may be difficult to get these in. You can crush the pill, mix it with a little broth and use a medicine dropper to dribble it in on the side of his mouth near where the upper and lower lips meet, directing the tip between the premolar teeth. Tilt his head back slight and hold his muzzle closed with your other hand. I would pick up all food for now and water for a couple hours to allow his stomach to settle after the acid reducers. In a couple hours when you give him water or low salt clear broths like low salt beef or chicken broth to drink but make sure it is in small amounts only. If he drinks too much too quickly that can lead to nausea and vomiting. To get some electrolytes in you can also offer him a 50:50 mix of pedialyte and water. If he seems to feel better in 4-6 hours offer a bland diet mix of 1/3 boiled, minced, white, skinless chicken or boiled, lean hamburger and 2/3 boiled, plain, white rice or pasta mixed with some low salt chicken or beef broth to make it easy to lap up and swallow as well as increase his fluid intake. If he refuses that you can offer a little meat baby food. If he refuses both then don't push it. But if things go well and he does eat and doesn't vomit feed him the bland diet for 2 to 3 days then slowly start to mix back in his regular food, a little more at each meal. It should take about 5 to 7 days to slowly convert him back to his regular diet. If he continues to refuse to eat, begins to vomit, runs a fever (more than 103F rectally), has a tense painful belly then he is not a candidate for home therapy and must see a veterinarian for an examination, diagnostics, injectable anti-nausea drugs intravenous fluids and supportive care.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I needed help yesterday, not 24 hours later! Our combined opinion is that the dog was suffering from heat exhaustion. Today the symptoms have diminished. Thanks for your helpful answer, in particular in relation to recovery,which hopefully will be more apposite tomorrow. Ann Kenward

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
I am so sorry, I answered your question when I came online this morning. Unfortunately weekends can be busy online with fewer veterinarians able to answer (because they are dealing with their own clinic emergencies).I didn't want you to think that you were being ignored, but I suspect that your question may have been lost in the shuffle because the symptoms were vague and not something that could be dealt with quickly. My apologies for your wait, I hope that you can use some of my suggestions in her recovery process.I can forward this to customer service for a refund if you would prefer.