Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

We have taken our friends 6 yearold border collie to rehome,

We have taken our friends 6 yearold border collie to rehome, as their world are falling into disaster, work wise/relationship etc.He has a pre existing shoulder problem if exerted, as fell 24ft when about 2yrsold.Xrayed at time, and told it was ligament damage.This dog is wonderful, and my son who has aspergers has been fantastic at looking after him, as well as the dog being amazing for him.Unfortunately they have over done. the exercise & play, so as warned dog is limping.rESTING UP LAST TWO DAY, IS IMPROVING GREATLY.Wonder if Vet would be able to prescribe an anti-inflamitory to ease recovery?Unfortunately still awaiting health records from previous vet, although have vaccination card, and letter from previous owners.A. Can I contact previous Vet for records, to minimise paying for new Xray etc. B. How much do you think vet would charge.Just need to work out figures.Previous owners said he just needs to rest for few days.Many Thanks

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has assisted you both today. To answer your question, you may have to have the previous vet sign a release for Caleb in order to have records released but some veterinary clinics will do so when requested from another veterinary clinic without issue. I would definitely call around to your area and find a veterinary clinic willing to do an examination without repeating a lot of tests (x-rays, +/- bloodwork) prior to prescribing pain medication. Most veterinarians will require bloodwork within a year in order to prescribe pain medications to ensure liver and kidney function is healthy enough for these medications but if it was done at the prior vet then this should suffice. Unfortunately by law we are required to do at least a veterinary examination within one year in order to prescribe pain medications just as in human medicine but if you can find someone in your area that is willing to review the previous records, do an examination (some will have discounts or coupons such as in your paper or on yelp.com) your cost should be minimized to $30-50 for the examination then the cost of the pain medications which can vary greatly depending on the quantity dispensed. I hope this information makes sense but please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both. If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

You have answered my first question.Thankyou,but not my second, and this says Uk, and you have answered in dollars.Can you advise re: progress in his repair, and do you think an anti-inflammatory would help?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I apologize, the country of origin was not listed in my side of the question. As far as progress in his repair this is extremely difficult to answer without having an idea of what the injury is. Often if it recovers with rest then minimizing the activities that cause the strain are ideal which can be ball play or rough housing for an extended period of time. I have a dog that reinjures her right front frequently if she is too active and with 3-5 days rest she is back to herself again. Surgery would be very aggressive and not necessary in her situation but if there is a chip in Caleb's joint or a full tear then surgery may have to be considered if the recurrence is frequent. From my calculations $50 is equivalent to 32 pounds at this time. Yes an anti inflammatory often will help speed recovery and allow him to return to normal activity sooner. The other thing to consider for him is physical therapy and/ or laser therapy of that leg which really can prevent further injury and recurrence...
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, Thankyou, just want to make sure that I am doing the right thing, as he is the most beautiful of nature,and my son who is 11, is the happiest he has been in years, having a poor social interaction with his peers, although exceptionally bright.I just feel bad that he has been all out play(Caleb).His previous owners say rest is what is required.They once had an injection given when he had strained himself catching Frisbee.This is now band.He loves a bath, but I am concerned he is too sore at the moment,but would play if you let him.Keeping very still at moment.Apparently no problem since then.Murdo now understands that we have to minimize activities, so do you think in your professional opinion that will help?We are taking him to vet tomorrow, with hopefully his health record, which is perfect apart from this re-occuring limp?

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I completely understand, I was the same way as a child and definitely related much more to pets than people!Yes I would continue to restrict and limit bathing for now. The great thing about dogs is they live in the moment so once he is allowed activity again he should not have any memory of his previous restriction :)Yes I definitely think if he has in the past and is now showing signs of improvement with restriction this should be effective once again. He might be a dog that requires a certain type of activity and not others which can be difficult but effective in minimizing these relapses.Border Collies are definitely a dog that will go until they drop so if you don't restrict him he would absolutely be out there keeping busy and be worse by morning I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!