Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My dog has just put her foot in my hot coffee she is a small

My dog has just put her foot in my hot coffee she is a small ***** *****
I have run it under the tap and had a cold crepe bandage compress on it,she is calmer now and just shaking a little,What next?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry to hear this happened to your JRT!I can give you basic guidelines for that foot but if there is swelling or redness that is progressive today please have her seen by a veterinarian sooner rather than later. You did great getting the area under water to rinse then applying a cool compress -Continue applying cool compresses for ten minute intervals to the areas throughout the day to numb and prevent irritation from progressing-No licking! Licking will introduce oral bacteria to the area which can result in infection-Use an oatmeal-based dog shampoo on the lesions once to twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing-Ensure full range of motion over the areas where there are wounds as well so there is no stiffness as a result of misuse of those joints-If there is licking then please use benadryl 1 mg/ pound to relieve the itch and allow her to rest comfortably-If her appetite wanes, there is swelling, lethargy, any concerns whatsoever I would have your vet evaluate her tomorrow to ensure no other medical intervention is necessaryPlease let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns I can assist with today! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr thank you for your quick response,she is feeling quiet sleepy and can walk on her leg, there is no visual damage,but does growl a little when I put cold compress on
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am sure it feels a bit odd with the cool compress. As long as the skin is not very red and no swelling you might want to give her a break from the compress for a little while and just make sure she is not lickingDogs have a thinner skin than we do but a thicker coat so hopefully she will recover swiftly and have no ill effects by this evening :)Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help ūüź∂from Betty the ***** ***** and her mum xxx
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
You are very welcome!Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!