Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a Yorkshire terrier who will not eat, she is listless

Customer Question

I have a Yorkshire terrier who will not eat, she is listless seems to have no energy and was sick yesterday and today just once but it was yellow. I have tried to tempt her with all sorts of food but she just sniffs it and walks away
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How much does she weigh? 2- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- How many hours has it been since the last time she vomited?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

she weighs 3 kg did not eat anything out of the ordinary.

I rescued her in December so have no history before that. she has just finished her first season since I had her. she vomited last 2 hours ago

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Can you take a look at her gums and see if they are pink or pale? 2- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

They are pink no other symptoms

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, vomiting and being listless can be caused by many different conditions. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, pancreatitis, ingestion of a foreign body, infections or even part of a systemic disease, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting the first thing to do is give the stomach time to rest. This is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy. If you do not find Pepcid AC you can also use Zantac (ranitdine) 3-6mg every 12 hours. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 8-12 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean into regular diet. 4- If she continues to vomit or listless after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter