Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

I still have not had a reply to my question about the best

Customer Question

I still have not had a reply to my question about the best type of food to give my yorkshire terrier/bichon dog which has cushings disease. Please reply. Mrs Moira Mooney.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has yet to assist you both todayThere are a few key points when searching for a food for a dog with Cushing's disease: Restricting your dog suffering from Cushing’s disease from consuming fatty foods like fatty fish, pork, beef, etc is inevitable. This is because, dogs suffering from this disease will naturally show an increased appetite and abnormally high water retention. As a result, dogs suffering from Cushing’s disease become obese. You can prevent this from happening by feeding them a low fat diet. While on medication for Cushing’s disease, it becomes extremely difficult for the dog to digest high fiber foods properly. Although fibers more or less are present in all types of foods, it is importance to avoid foods which are high in both fibers and carbohydrates like home-cooked rice and vegetables. Hence, even if your dog is on raw food or a natural food diet, you can reduce the the amount of fiber that goes into their body by giving them shredded vegetables. Shredded vegetables and fruits are comparatively low in fibers and also provide the dog with a fat-free diet.The diet that I prefer that meets this criteria is Nature's Variety Instinct. If you go to NaturesVariety.com you can find who carries this food locally but most large chains now carry this food which is organic, only human grade ingredients, and no by productsPlease let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with today. I hope that your little one's Cushing's is controlled soon! If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 1 year ago.
I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.
Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!
If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!