nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

7 month old Sheltie been on Iams since got him hav had tummy

Customer Question

7 month old Sheltie been on Iams since got him hav had tummy issues starts day firm stools get softer then not formed last weekend watery stools blood took to vets who hav run stool and blood tests nothing shown up on chicken and rice was advised to try chappie hav been putting sml amounts in with rice and chicken last two days this morning soft stools again with stringy mucos at my wits end what to do carry on with chappie stop it what to feed nxt help
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.
Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.
Now while it will be frustrating to not have obtained a conclusive diagnosis for his GI signs, it is positive that your vet has been able to rule out parasites, protozoa, and bacteria with the stool test.
Therefore, if those are not an issue, then working to find a light diet that agrees with him is a good start. Now if he has only been on the Chappie for a few days, we need to try this a bit longer. The reason is because frequent quick changes can actually upset the good gut bacteria to cause diarrhea too. So, I would advise persevering with the diet for at least a week if possible. Just to note, to try and bulk up those feces, you can consider adding a spoonful of tinned pumpkin, crushed plain Weetabix, or request Protexin Pro-Fibre from his vet to add to his food. Both are high in fiber and can help firm up loose stool.
Otherwise, as I noted an imbalance in the bacterial microflora of the gut can cause the signs we are seeing. Therefore, if you have not already, it'd be ideal to put him on a probiotic. There are a range of over the counter dog appropriate ones on the market (ie Fortiflora, Protexin Enterogenic, etc) that could help.
Finally since he is having very watery stool, I do want to note some OTC anti-diarrheals that can be used here. These are always a good idea in these situations as they will slow the diarrhea to aid the body potentially absorb more water/nutrients then it would have if the diarrhea were unchecked. Furthermore, these treatments will coat the GI and could just settle the GI upset. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the ones we most commonly use in dogs are:
Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p)
PeptoBismol (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/bismuth-subsalicylate-pepto-bismol-kaopectate)
Both are available from your local pharmacy. Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, or Canikur (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhoea but the last few also have the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.
Overall, you have taken the first step in ruling out infectious causes for his diarrhea. Since that has been clear, we'd want to consider continuing to offer an easy to digest diet but also consider the above to slow that diarrhea and normalize his gut in an effort to settle all of this for him.
I hope this information is helpful.
If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!
All the best, *****
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )