nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog is on steroids but has had diarrhea few days now

Customer Question

My dog is on steroids but has had diarrhea for a few days now how can I help her
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now we need to tread with care if Grace if on steroids. This is because this medication can cause stomach upset but also dampen the immune system making dogs more vulnerable to infections. Therefore, we do not want to starve her (since the steroids could irritate her stomach without food) but also may need to speak to her vet about weaning her off them until this GI issue is settled.

Otherwise, your use of the light diet is perfect and we'd want to continue this. Though if we still see runny feces despite the est to digest diet; then we'd want to consider further supportive care. So, as long as there is no blood in her stool, you can consider a dog safe anti-diarrheal treatment. In regards ***** ***** options for your wee one, the one we most commonly use in dogs is Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p) . This is available from your local pharmacy (do avoid Pepto Bismol since its aspirin will interact with the steroids and could worse GI upset). Furthermore, Protexin Pro-Fiber, Propectalin, and Fast Balance (which is available OTC at vets, pet stores, and even Amazon) would be another option. All will slow diarrhoea and the last few have has the bonus of providing support to the delicate good bacteria of the GI.

Overall, if she is on steroids, we need to be careful and would want to ring her vet and update them. Ideally, we'd want to wean her off them if possible but can use the above with your light diet to try and soothe this for her. Of course, if she isn't settling, then we'd need to consider a check up +/- fecal testing to pinpoint what is present (ie bacteria, viruses, protozoa) so that targeted treatment can be dispensed to clear this for her.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )