Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My dog has the runs a week nothing but liquid comes

My dog has the runs for over a week nothing but liquid comes out and the smell is horrible she eats only a biscuit now and than have tried to give him boiled chicken and rice but he does not eat ,what can I do
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Is he lethargic? 3- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 4- How much does he weigh? 5- Any blood in the stool?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The answers you your questions
1 we do not know
2 no
3 we do not know
4 thirteen six kilo
5 not that we can see
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Any vomiting? 2- Has he always been a picker eater or just since developing diarrhea?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1 there is no vomiting
2 he used to ear Wagg dry food and meat scraps left over from dinne he used to eat well
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
1- Is he drinking? 2- He won't eat the meat scraps either?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes he drink quit a lot but always done that
2 he eat I slice of roast beef three days ago
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for answering all of my questions. Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, his appetite is being affected by the whatever is causing the diarrhea. The big question is: Why does he have diarrhea? It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Pepto bismol (bismuth) 1/2 tablespoon every 8-12 hours for 1-2 days. 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacterias that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much we will do all that's recommended by you thanks again and regards *****
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome John.