Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Dog had diareah this afternoon now sick with yellow froth

Customer Question

dog had diareah this afternoon now sick with yellow froth wont eat or drink
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did Sam get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Any other symptoms? 4- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sam ate some salmon yesterday which was 1 daypast its sell by date so did other dog and he is OK

Sam weight is 15lb

No pre medicsl conditions nor other symtoms only quiet whereas he is usually very alert.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Can you take a look at his gums and see if they are pink or pale?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

gums are pink

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, it is possible the diarrhea and vomiting are the result of eating the salmon. Other possible causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, etc. to name a few causes. In any case of vomiting/diarrhea the first thing to do is give the gastrointestinal tract time to rest. This is what you can do: 1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start him on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. Or, Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Pepcid AC or Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep on this diet for several days then wean him into his regular diet. 4- If he continues to vomit after doing the above he will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you very much Dr. Peter, he is sleeping peacefully at moment, will do as you say and rest with no food/water for 6/8 hrs. Your service is wonderful and gives us owners a great feeling that someone is there as we pensioners on our own worry a lot about our pets.

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
I am so happy that I was here to help, especially knowing that you are a pensioner. Please feel free to follow this thread if you have additional questions. I will be on most of the day until 9-10 pm E.S.T. Have a great and blessed day. You're welcome.