Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

I have a Border Collie and have noticed he is sometimes finding

Customer Question

I have a Border Collie and have noticed he is sometimes finding it difficult to walk. Sometimes he will be lying on the floor and will jump as though he has had a scare and he then collapses on the floor.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I need to know better what you're seeing. Is Benji having difficulty rising from a prone position, jumping up or down, or navigating steps which might indicate osteoarthritis? Is he ataxic ("drunken sailor") and perhaps demonstrating a change in posture such as a "hunch" in his back or holding his neck stiffly and head lower to the ground which might indicate a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease/a "slipped disk"? Does he appear to "warm out of it" once he moves around which would suggest geriatric osteoarthritis? Has he responded to nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drugs (NSAIDS) such as carprofen or meloxicam or corticosteroids such as prednisone? Does he appear to be worsening? Which breed is Benji, please? Is he exhibiting any other symptoms which might suggest an internal disorder unrelated to his spine or musculoskeletal system such as pale mucous membranes in his mouth, an increased respiratory rate, coughing, vomiting/diarrhea, e.g?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

he is not eating as much as usual and is spending most of his time following me about. Benji is a long haired border collie. He was ill treated before we got him and would not let you touch his rear end. Sometimes he is like his normal self and sometimes he can show aggression to our other dog

That you for the additional information. I can understand his inappetence, "clinginess" and "crankiness" if he's painful. Please talk to Benji's vet about the presumptive administration of a nonsteroidal antiinflammatory drug very much like we would take when we're "sore". You mustn't administer ibuprofen or naproxen to dogs, however, as both are toxic. You can, however, see how aspirin dosed at 10 mg/lb with food twice daily affects Benji. His vet may recommend having a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests performed before prescribing any prescription medicines. That's not a bad idea in order to make sure that there isn't an internal disorder contributing to Benji's behavior. Please continue our conversation if you wish.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I'm going to check back with you in a week for an update. Feel free to return to our conversation - even after rating - prior to my contacting you if you wish.