Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

We have just moved to the country and one of our dogs is

Hi, we have just moved to the country and one of our dogs is very stressed out from all the new sounds, smells and sights. He's barking all the time at silly things that he hears but can't see - like roosters and jackdaws. We have a giant backyard yet he would rather stay indoors so he doesn't have to hear those sounds. This is becoming a real behavioral issue and he's under constant stress from this. Any advice you have would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Jason
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. This is not uncommon in an older dog with a major change like this. The first thing I would try is a DAP collar- it is a collar that releases a pheromone that can calm and soothe dogs and relieve stress. You can buy them on Amazon.com and at many pet stores, and this is the brand that I like: http://www.amazon.com/Adaptil-Appeasing-Pheromone-Collar-Medium/dp/B000HPVH78 I would have your dog wear that collar for a few weeks and see if you notice a difference. If you don't, then you will likely need to try medication. Alprazolam (Xanax) is a good option to try, and so is Prozac. I would talk to your vet about a trial with one of those medications if the DAP collar does not work. I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.