Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My small dog lost an eye about 2 and half weeks ago

My small dog lost an eye about 2 and half weeks ago and since then the eye has been oozing puss at first and now cloudy liquid. She is on antibiotics all this time. The eye only oozes a couple times a day and then stops in about 10 seconds. I have to take her back to the vet tomorrow because I have been told she may need another operation to remove the tear duct as this maybe what is causing the oozing.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.This is not an uncommon complication after enucleation surgery. My top concern would be that the complete lids and tear duct were not removed during surgery. When not removed there is continued tear production which leads to long-term drainage. Therefore, surgery may be needed to remove this. As well, a culture of the discharge should probably be submitted to check for resistant bacterial infection. Sounds like you are on the right track to have a recheck to assess this. I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If she does need another surgery is it a minor surgery or will the whole eye need to be opened and resealed?

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
No, this is fairly minor surgery to open up the external skin area and try to identify where residual tearing is originating, usually it is at the corner. This is the toughest spot to remove all tissue.Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

So my question is why does the eye only seep a couple of times a day and when I pat it dry it stops completely? Don't tear ducts produce tears all the time and would it not be seeping all the time? I really don't want her to have to go under again if it is not necessary.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Either there is a persistent infection, or this level of low grade discharge is actually consistent with residual tear duct issue. Depending on where this tearing tissue is located it may not produce discharge all the time.I entirely understand your reluctance, but if there is residual tearing tissue present then this will be as is right now for the rest of her life. :( There is not a nonsurgical way to resolve it. If, however, this is infection (sounds less likely, though), then finding the right antibiotic based on culture should resolve it. I think infection would be more likely if the surgical site, itself, is not healing.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is tearing right in the corner of the eye. A few minutes after I pat it dry it looks like it completely heals over and stays dry for hours until she gets excited then it starts seeping again.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
I did submit an answer to your question above, but for some reason it did not go through. I apologize for the technical glitch.
For persistent tear, this is consistent with residual tear duct/gland being present. It is less likely to be infection but this soon after surgery a persistent/resistant infection is possible. Only a culture/sensitivity would tell us if infection remains a concern.
There is not a non-surgical way to treat residual tear gland/duct, which means if not repaired she may have this level of drainage for the rest of her life. If it is mild and tolerable then you could continue to cleanse her face several times daily.
The absolute best next step is a recheck with her surgeon.
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience: 15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine