Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My 13 year old golden has a limp - it is his shoulder. he

Customer Question

My 13 year old golden has a limp - it is his shoulder. he has had rimadyl in the past but is there something i can give him long term to help
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your Golden. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Rimadyl is safe to give long term, if you are doing blood tests to check liver and kidney values every 6 to 12 months. I have many dogs that take it long term. Other things that may help are: Tramadol, a pain drug. Rimadyl is for inflammation and adding a pain drug can be helpful DGP, Doggone Pain, an herbal pain remedy. Fish oil, anti oxidant vitamins, injections of Adequan or Hyaluronic acid which are both normal components of joint fluid. Acupuncture, prolotherapy, or working with a vet that does physical therapy, therapeutic ultrasound, cold laser help some dogs with chronic joint pain. Let me know what else I can help with or answer.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the great rating.
Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the bonus!