Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

I have 2 female sister butchers they are a Pom shitsu mix

Hi I have 2 female sister butchers they are a Pom shitsu mix , I'm having problems with them fighting well more so one she gets jealous of the other , I haven't had them neutered and would this help ! They are nearly 3 , thanking you Colette
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about this fighting problem with these two. I need to ask a few questions to help as best as possible. Do you feel that they may have more disagreements over food or toys? Are these fights happening during certain times of the day or during certain activities?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not really over food but when holly gets attention or when we are getting ready to go for a walk Bailey will start growling at her and walking around her , this evening my husband picked holly up and Bailey but him on the back of his leg trying to get to her ..
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that information Colette. I'm going to be honest here and say that spaying them may help some with this aggression. It would definitely be something I'd recommend to get done as it also has the absolute benefit of making sure they don't have health issues / problems down the road attributed to being intact. I see at my ER about one case a month where an older intact female has a uterine infection that requires emergency surgery to remove there infected uterus. From a pure health recommendation, I would say getting them spayed is my strong push. Can it help with the behavior issues? It may.
As far as what else can be done for the aggression? It is something that involving behavior classes would absolutely help with. Getting them into a behavior class will allow them to be in an environment where a professional can be directly involved and help with getting them to be better behaved. Being there and reading subtle signs at that time is key with this. There are medications that can be considered too that your vet can prescribe to help reduce anxiety. This could also help here.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So do you think she is anxious? Why would that be?
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
She many not necessarily be anxious. Some dogs just get "worked up" and they then don't handle that extra energy well and it gets displaced as possible aggression.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It can be like she is bullying her
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like she's the alpha female and she's not going to hold back in letting her litter mate know that. Could spaying help to reduce this? That again is something that I would absolutely start with as again it has big health benefits for her long term health in my opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you I'll work on that
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
These behavior situations are ones that can be challenging, but with persistence and dedication on an owners part to help them through it - I would hope that positive results can be achieved.
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.