Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My yorkshire terrier is thirsty coughing and panting he is very distressed

my yorkshire terrier is thirsty coughing and panting he is very distressed
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Is he losing weight? 3- Is he currently on any medications? 4- Is it fair to say he is drinking more than usual? 5- Any pre existing medical conditions?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

about 24 hours and he is drinking more than usual he has no pre existing medicaL conditions and isnt on any medication he has had his annual checkup

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
1- Did he get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 3- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

coughing as though he has something stuck

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Does he cough after drinking or it is happening all day without drinking?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

all the time without drinking

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, when a dog drinks more water than usual it is a sign an underlying medical problem. There are many possible causes. It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: An active infection, hormonal disorders (diabetes, cushing's), kidney or liver disease and even cancer to name a few causes.As far as the cough, this could be a sign of either heart or lung disease, a foreign body in the upper airway, etc. all of which can also make him drink more than usual. Unfortunately in this case on history alone it will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on exam and some testing; his symptoms as you can read above can be caused by many different medical conditions. To determine which of the above is the underlying cause he will need a hands on exam by your family veterinarian, blood work (chemistry profile, T4 & CBC), urinalysis and +/-xrays as initial screening test. Treatment will be determined by exam and test findings. In the meantime, for the cough you can give him Robitussin DM (cough) 1/2 teaspoon every 8 hours. You can buy Robitussin over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter