Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Fine all day and suddenly agitated in the evening looking to

fine all day and suddenly agitated in the evening looking to hide away and trying to get to her bottom
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Any vomiting, diarrhea or coughing? 2- Is she rubbing her butt on the floor? 3- Can you check her bottom for any swelling or abnormalities?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Some coughing at times, doesn't appear to be rubbing herself on the floor, just trying to get her bottom and doesn't appear to have any swelling or any thing abnormal

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Friend, the way your dog is behaving is often seen when they are uncomfortable secondary to having full anal glands. Dogs have two anal gland inside their rectum, when the duct that drains them becomes occluded the glands become enlarged and this is uncomfortable. She needs to have the anal glands expressed or they may become infected/impacted and rupture through the side of her anal sphincter. Expressing the anal glands is a very simple procedure, it can be done within minutes by your vet, tech or even a groomer. Could this be related to something else? Yes. Inflammation of the rectum or ingestion of a foreign body can also cause similar symptoms. But, the first place to start is checking her anal glands. Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter