Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a 5 year old bichion. He got hit on the road

Customer Question

Hello. I have a 5 year old bichion. He got hit on the road last Friday and seemed to be ok after it, was walking untill the monday and then suddenly lost all power in his back legs and no control over bowel or bladder. Bet xrayed him on the monday. His spine is out of place. He hadn't ate in a couple of days. But he has started eating and drinking again. He can pee by himself again but is peeing himself and lying in it obv because he can not get up. Vets R talking about putting him down. Does this sound right? I want to give him a chance If there is one. Thanks
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 2 years ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.If he truly has spinal trauma (fracture or ruptured disk) as it sounds, then given his current condition he needs to be seen by the neurologist ASAP and have advanced imaging (MRI) to determine the exact problem and if surgery might be helpful. If a slipped disk then surgery may be useful and might return him to function; you can discuss percentage of success with the surgeon/neurologist. If there is a true spinal break/fracture, then there may be no cure for this. You would be, then, looking at a lifetime of potentially working with him being unable to control his urine and not walking (can get him a cart). I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. We can continue our dialogue in this setting.I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.Please remember to select REPLY TO EXPERT if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer. My goal is to provide the best answer possible prior to you leaving a feedback rating.If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.