Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
55012488

My westie is 13 years old and weighs 7.5 kg. she is being treated

Customer Question

My westie is 13 years old and weighs 7.5 kg. she is being treated for edema and heart problems and was being treated for bronchitis.
Prescriptions are:-
Started on 21st July:-
Ronaxan100mg once daily for 15 days ( now finished )
Corvental D 100mg once daily for 30 days
After a scan on 24/07/15 because of my concerns over rapid breathing 80+ per minute
Started on 24th July:-
Fortekor 2.5mg once daily for x days
Prednicare 2.5mg (half 5mg tab) twice daily for 30 days
PLT half tablet twice daily for 30 days ( she used to have Rimadyl when needed)
Frusemide 20mg twice daily for 10 days
Due to very severe breathing difficulties she was taken back to the vets on 6th August and given an injection of frusemide because it was determined that the breathing difficulties were due to edema. She was kept in for a day until she had stabilised.
Frusemide restarted for another 20 days at 20mg twice daily.
First a point I want to make: I pointed out that I read that prednisolone should not be given with frusemide so I was told only give the prednicare when necessary. However this evening I also reduced the PLT dose to 1/4 tablet.
My question is can I increase the dose of frusemide to 20mg three times daily ( my reading of it suggests I can) because her breathing rate is still far too high at about 60 per minute?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin That's just what I would do. Always reach for the diuretic first when the respiratory rate exceeds 40 breaths/minute. Thrice daily administration (or higher) is acceptable if needed. Once stabilized, taper down to the lowest effective dose once again. Please note that PLT contains prednisolone (1 mg) as well. I can understand if prednisolone is necessary for treating "Westie lung" but, I agree, it should be avoided when congestive heart failure exists. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks. Yes I knew thatPLT also contains prednisolone that's why I have reduced it. My intention is to phase it out and 24 hours later return to Rimadyl. Not being a vet I find it helpful and encouraging to get a professional opinion. I am aware that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing so I needed confirmation before proceeding excellent and thank you again, it's a relief.
You're quite welcome.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience: University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.