Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 18 years.
53976849

Both my male and femail huskies keep stopping on walks to lick

Customer Question

Both my male and femail huskies keep stopping on walks to lick there genittals and thay seem to be in some pain as when it happens thay throw themselfs on the ground and sometime yelp.thay seem to be healthy other than this. Are thay lacking some thing in there diet that is causing this.or do I need to get medical advice from my vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! I am Dr. Altman, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your questions
I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today
I would try a few things before electing to have a veterinary exam
If they are licking the rectal area have a groomer or your veterinary office technician express their anal glands to ensure this is not part of the issue and request a broad spectrum dewormer from your veterinarian to rule out worms as part of the issue (you may not see them but they still be carrying them)
If they are licking the prepuce or scrotal area
- Diphenhydramine 1 mg/ pound about an hour before walks. This is an antihistamine that will help with the itch but may cause mild sedation
- Before walks use an oatmeal based dog shampoo with ten minute contact time on the affected area to reduce inflammation and itch and soothe the skin. No need for a full bath just that area
- When returning home using baby wipes over the area to remove any debris or buildup that could potentially contain allergens causing them discomfort.
if there is still no improvement with the above recommendations then yes I would advise a veterinary exam to see if medical intervention is necessary to manage their discomfort. Please let me know how else I can assist you both today!
If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!
If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Dr altman

my male dog licks his penis and femail dog where she has a wee. Not around the bottom area.as thay both are doing this does this mean thay both have same condition?

I apologize I missed that one was female and one was male, I just saw the male in the line of gender...
Yes whatever the cause (although it is very unusual for both dogs to have the same condition) they are having irritation of their genitals and it leans me towards a crystal issue in their urine, something they are in contact with while walking, or a behavioral issue.
Running a first morning urine sample on both of them (within a few hours of collection) to rule out crystals and a visual exam by your veterinarian to rule out a localized reaction to something on the walks would be the next step if using the shampoo and baby wipes after the walks does not help resolve their itchiness...
Please let me know how else I can assist you both today