Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

I have a Dalmatian , approx 6 yrs old. She has been

Hi I have a Dalmatian bitch, approx 6 yrs old. She has been spayed but was a breeding bitch before we rescued her and her Dalmatian mate over 3 years ago (he is also neutered). She has been the sweetest dog up until recently but has started almost bullying him and getting really cross if he takes something she wants. She has also started licking her vulva intensely. I was wondering if she perhaps has a UTI or if there is something hormonal going on. It really isn't like her.
Please can you help.
thank you kindly
Karen
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian. I understand your concern about your girl's changes in behavior, including some bullying behavior, less patience with her housemate, and increased grooming of her vulva area. I do think that she isn't feeling herself for some reason, and thus is less forgiving and easy going than usual. Given her increased licking she may be experiencing some urinary incontinence due to lower levels of estrogen, which we do see in some spayed bitches, or a urinary tract infection or crystal/calculus (stones) forming leading to urinary tract inflammation.Dalmatians as a breed, due to their unique kidneys and the way that they function, are prone to developing a particular type of urine crystal and calculi called urate calculi.Ideally I recommend that your girl see her veterinarian, have a urinalysis with culture checked and probably some blood tests checked to look for any underlying problems. In the meantime push fluids. Add water or low salt broth to her meals, give her ice cubes to lick and offer fresh water frequently.Please let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
While she is spayed, very rarely a small fragment of her ovary could have been left behind and it has now revascularized and grown such that it is producing hormones. These pups will usually have "in heat" behavior and physical changes like a swollen vulva, possibly a bloody discharge and standing to be bred. If these changes are present checking hormone levels can confirm that ovarian tissue is present and then an exploratory surgery to remove the remnant is best.This is much less likely to be the trouble with her, but I mention it to be complete.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much Kara for a very comprehensive answer. We will be off to the vet for tests tomorrow and I will endeavour to catch some urine from her in the morning!! lol Very interesting about the spaying, may be a possibility as she had a terrible time when she was spayed as she took a terrible reaction to the stitches, so I guess anything is possible.

Take care and thanks again

Karen

Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 1 year ago.
No worries on catching the urine, they will likely want to get a sterile sample from her at her veterinarian's tomorrow. In fact try to give her lots of water and hopefully she will have a nice full bladder for them to get a sample.Please let me know how things go for her tomorrow, thanks, ***** *****
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience: Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.