Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Our border terrier is very over weight .Took her to the vet

Customer Question

our border terrier is very over weight .Took her to the vet and it was thought that it maybe thyroid ,. but blood tests say not , and advise that some dogs are naturally fat .Runs well across the fields in the morning , but we are seeing that her poo is sometimes yellow , her only food (what she will eat) is cesar and biscuit , just one meal a day .She has been spayed .
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. I don't agree that some dogs are naturally fat; instead, some dogs are overfed, underexercised, or both. If you can tell me her current and also desired weight, I can tell you the approximate number of kilocalories she should be eating daily and you can check to see how many kilocalories she's currently eating by checking the food label or the manufacturer's website. The significance of occasional yellow stool is unclear. The transit time of her ingesta may be increased which doesn't allow the bowel bacteria enough time to metabolize bilirubin secreted by her liver into the gastrointestinal tract into stercobilinogen - the chemical that imparts the characteristic brown color to stool.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

not at all happy with this on line system , it seems very confusing to me as really you have not answered the question , and unless I am prepared to send even more money we get no further forward , and as to paying a bonus, well I have never heard or wish to hear about it again , am sure my own vet would have helped me more at no cost over the phone as they have previously .I thought that I was buying a special service am so disappointed .

There's no reason for you to pay any more money then the deposit you placed. Please review my initial reply to you. I asked that you tell me how much she weighs now and what you think her desired weight should be. I can then tell you how much she should be fed. I need to first determine is she's currently being overfed which is the simplest answer to her being very overweight. If you prefer not to continue on, please contact***@******.*** who will help you with any financial questions you may have.