Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Why did the show judge wind my greyhounds tail around its rear

why did the show judge wind my greyhounds tail around its rear leg
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'm Dr. Deb.

I recently came online and see that your question about Ruby hasn't been answered. I'm so sorry that you've had to wait for a response, but if you still need assistance, I'd like to help if I can.

First, big congrats to Ruby for winning Best Veteran; you must have been very proud of her:)

As to why the judge might have wound Ruby's tail around her rear leg, well, this is something of a mystery. I've been involved with the show world for a number of years now and I've never seen a judge do this.

I know that some judges will measure tail length to hock as part of the standard for a particular breed. I can't think of why they'd want to wrap the tail around the leg, though, unless it was looking for possible defects or they thought the tail was too long?

I've sent a few inquires out to other show people I know for their input. If I receive feedback as a possible explanation, I'll be sure to let you know.

I hope this helps although, again, my profuse apologies for the delayed reply. Deb