Dr. Kara
Dr. Kara, Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.
49838867

My dog is rubbing a behind all the time I've worm him and had

My dog is rubbing a behind all the time I've worm him and had is glands done but he is still doing ig
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Kara replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is***** and I have over 20 years of experience as a veterinarian.I am sorry to hear that your fellow is rubbing his bottom even after being wormed and his anal glands have been expressed.He may be rubbing his perianal area after eating in response to a food allergy which can cause perianal itchiness.Other reasons for perianal itchiness include constipation or diarrhea, fleas, tapeworms or other gastrointestinal parasites, full or infected anal glands or impaction of the glands.If he is a shepherd mix I also want to mention a condition called perianal fistulas as we see this more commonly in shepherds and their mixes. This is a painful condition where dogs develop fistulous tracts around the anus and lick and rub in response to the discomfort. It is likely an autoimmune mediated disease process (body attacks itself) as it responds to immunosuppressive drugs and while it cannot be cured we can usually control it. It is diagnosed via a biopsy coupled with a history of perianal inflammation and tracts.Make sure that his stools are normal size and consistency and look for any signs of worm packets that look like grains of rice too. If he's had fleas at all in the past year then tapeworms are a real concern and then you may choose to treat for those with a wormer containing praziquantal. I understand that he has been wormed but not all wormers treat for tapeworms. I would also recommend submitting a stool sample to check for other gastrointestinal parasites. If he has an unusual parasite then the wormer that you gave may not have treated that particular parasite.If he has had fleas even if you don't see them now I do recommend using protection. They are the most common allergen and it only takes one bite a month to make an allergic dog lick and scratch excessively so I recommend using flea prevention even if you never see one again. Frontline Plus, Advantage or Advantix are excellent. Don't use over the counter products, especially Hartz or Sargents, as most are ineffective if not toxic.I understand that he has had his anal glands expressed but a rectal by your veterinarian to make sure he doesn't have a mass or residual inflammation would be worthwhile.If he will let you he may benefit from a cool compress to the area, patting dry and then applying a light coat of cortisone cream (like cortaid) to the area a couple times a day.If this is new and he's been fed a new food or treats, or had table food my thought would be this is a food allergy. Treatment is topical cortisone and not exposing him to the allergen again. It can take a few weeks to get the allergen out of his system.If this has been going on a while perhaps he is allergic to his food and I recommend a hypoallergenic diet trial. You could try a true hypoallergenic diet like Hills z/d or Purina Veterinary Diets HA. No treats, flavored medication or bones while on the diet and it must be used for a least 12 to 16 weeks to see the full effects, though most owners see some improvement in 6 to 8 weeks. Finally if he is having trouble passing stools then adding 1 to 2 tablespoons of pumpkin (not pie filling, just canned pumpkin) to each meal will help soften his stools and make them easier to pass and thus make him more comfortable.Best of luck with your fellow, please let me know if you have any further questions.