Dr. Dave
Dr. Dave, Veterinarian
Experience:  23 years small animal general and emergency practice
15552883

I Drontal wormed my two dogs, cairn terrier and toy poodle,

Customer Question

Hi. I Drontal wormed my two dogs, cairn terrier and toy poodle, 15 days ago. Today whilst out walking I caught them eating from a large dollop of diarrhoea. I raced home with them and washed out their mouths and cleaned their teeth and muzzles, when should I worm them again. Thank you
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
Hello, and thanks for writing in.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
I would deworm a couple times - in about 2 weeks, and then again about 2 weeks later.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
Deworming a couple times a couple weeks apart can help catch different stages of the intestinal worm's life cycle.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
If you are using a monthly heartworm preventative (i.e. Heartgard, Iverhart, Interceptor, etc.), this would help prevent infestations of certain intestinal parasites also. So, if you are using a heartworm preventative, continue to give it on your regular monthly schedule.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help, I will have to keep them on their leash from now on, last week Angus rolled in fox poo.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it's "normal" for dogs to roll in and eat feces, but it can be disgusting, and they can potentially pick up certain parasite infections.
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
It's good that you are being cautious and taking good care of them!
Expert:  Dr. Dave replied 2 years ago.
You're very welcome - glad to be here to help out you, Angus, and Paddy!