nekovet
nekovet, Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog had recurring problems with both anal glands,one was

Customer Question

My dog had recurring problems with both anal glands,one was eventually removed. Now 18 months on the remaining one is causing problems. She has had it expressed 4 times in the last 4 weeks! The last gap being 3 days! I am very worried about the trauma caused to my dog. Should both glands have been removed in the first instance?
Category: Dog
Expert:  nekovet replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

It is a tricky situation for Ellie. We never take anal gland removal likely, since there is always a risk that they will become fecally incontinent due to the procedure being performed so close to the rectal nerves. Therefore, I suspect your vet was trying to address the gland that was thought to be the major problem and keep risk to a minimum.

Still, if she is having issues this often, then we have to be aware that this gland likely will need to be removed as well. Especially if you have tried to treat it medically (the fiber is good, by you may also want to try her on an anti-inflammatory to reduce any gland inflammation if you have not already) without any success.

Overall, it would have been ideal to have taken both glands at the same time. But if there was thought at the time that the other wasn't an issue, then it was no unreasonable to try to leave it. Unfortunately, they just didn't appreciate the trouble this gland would cause Ellie after removal of the other.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )