Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

Is it ok to flea a 8week old puppy at 8weeks just before leaving

Is it ok to flea a 8week old puppy at 8weeks just before leaving breeder
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.

Hello again Hannah, Dr. Deb here.

The short answer is that it may depend on which product is being used (since there are a number of them available these days) but most flea products are approved for puppies at this age, especially the topical ones. There are weight requirements for some such as Vectra where the pups need to be at least 7 weeks of age and at least 2.5 lbs of body weight.
The oral product Bravecto shouldn't be used in puppies younger than 6 months of age but most breeders wouldn't be using this product anyway.

The label should clearly indicate whether there are any restrictions of this nature, though.
However, if you tell me the specific product being used, I can let you know if it approved for this aged pup. Deb