Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Our dog ate a cooked lamb bone and now he seems to

Customer Question

Hi our dog ate a cooked lamb shank bone and now he seems to be in pain. It's late (midnight). No other symptoms but he's clearly acting strangely and moving around like he's trying to find a comfortable place. What do we do? Anything we can do until we reach the vet tomorrow?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. I'm sorry to hear about your guy's situation. Can you tell me his name? What breed of dog is he?
Is he having any vomiting or attempting to vomit or abdominal distention?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Olly is a 6 year old Cairn terrier. He vomited an hour or so after eating the bone. Can't feel any distension
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 2 years ago.
That is good that there isn't any abdominal distention. Why is he having the vomiting could be due to a couple different reasons. The vomiting could be due to the bone and any meat / fat that was on it upsetting his stomach. It could also be due to piece of the bone being stuck. It could be due to pancreatitis.
If a veterinary visit isn't possible here today / tonight, I'd pull up food and water from him for 8 hours. This literally means nothing - no treats, no food, no sips of water, nothing. Be sure to close toilet lids, pick up other pets water bowls, and monitor if goes outside so nothing can be ate or drank out there. The goal here is to let the stomach rest. If anything is ate or drank during this time, it has a very good chance of upsetting the stomach more. After we get past this time frame of having nothing, then we can start to allow access to water making sure not too much is drank at once. This is done by giving 1/8 cup to 1/4 cup of water every 20 minutes for 1 hour. If no vomiting occurs with this, then after one hour of having the water available, you can start to offer bland food. The bland foods that you can prepare at home pretty easily are boiled hamburger / skinless chicken breast and white rice mixtures. This is prepared by mixing 3/4 cup white rice and 1/4 cup of the boiled hamburger or skinless chicken. You can then give 1 cup of this combination per 20 pounds every 8 to 12 hours. I would over the next couple days then progressively get him back onto his regular food.
The huge hurdle for him to get over is the vomiting. If this continues, if he gets very weak, if he has obvious abdominal pain, or is not starting to eat and drink after 24 hours - he absolutely needs a veterinary exam. He at that point hasn't responded to at home care and needs a physical exam and testing to see what further therapy is needed. I hope this helps!!