Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My Staffie has started pooing on the run, dropping as he walks,

Customer Question

My Staffie has started pooing on the run, dropping as he walks, he seems to do this on a regular basis, even when he is at home and the door is open for him to go out. He knows it is wrong because he shakes.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Most likely Diesel has suffered an injury to a disc in her back or has extreme discospondylitis which is arthritis blocking the nerve supply. This lack of nerve supply to the anal sphincter is allowing the stool to come out without her knowing this. This is very common in older staffies because of their conformation. Since Diesel does not have any digestive issues, this is the most likely cause for this. Since this is deep within the vertebrae, she will not show pain when you touch or palpate these areas. This can happen when Diesel jumps up or down on something or just moves the wrong way.

The best thing you can do for now as long as Diesel is eating, is to give her aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs. This will decrease the inflammation that is causing this lack of nerve supply and start to stabilize this disc. Do not allow her to jump on or off anything or even climb stairs to allow this disc to stabilize.

It is best to have your vet examine Diesel to be sure that this is the case and that this treatment is appropriate.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much , Denise, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope your sweet Diesel improves with this treatment!

Have a wonderful day, Denise!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your help. To be 100% we have decides to take him to the vet to get him checked. He is 10 yeRs old now but still lively and eating well so hopefully you are right. Again thank you.
Good for you, Denise...at Diesel's age, this is better to know for sure.

Please let me know in this post how things are going...Thanks!!
Good morning, DEnise. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on Diesel. Is he doing any better? Thanks!