Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My dog fell out of a moving car on Monday night. I took her

Customer Question

My dog fell out of a moving car on Monday night. I took her straight to a vet - she seems to have escaped with only minor grazes to her legs and abdomen.
But then on Wednesday she started to vomit and had blood in her diahorrea.
Th vet diagnosed this as Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis. they put her on fluids and her diahorrea turned brown again. On Saturday evening though it become very bloody again and she has become quite quiet and subdued. I took her back to the vets who have her on a drip and a course of antibiotics right noe. My worry is that this is not Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis and something more related to an internal injury that she has sustained. The out of hours vets she is with now will not do a scan. I am looking for a second opinion and wonder if I should take her to another vets who is able to do a scan?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) is an umbrella term that refers to hemorrhagic enteritis or colitis associated with a number of infectious and non-infectious causes and that typically lasts less than a week in duration. Considering the proximity of her accident, I would be circumspect about the diagnosis of HGE and like you be concerned about internal damage resulting in her hematochezia - blood in the stool. The damage might not be in her gastrointestinal tract but, instead, to her liver or kidneys which when functioning poorly can end up intoxicating the gastrointestinal tract. Damage to her GI tract can, however, cause ileus (paralysis of the GI tract), mucosal damage and necrosis (tissue death) and bacterial overgrowth resulting in her symptoms. Have diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests been performed? If so, were any abnormalities seen? Yes, full body X-rays are the standard of care for any patient traumatized as was she. Suspicious findings in X-rays are then clarified by ultrasound imaging. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is due to be seen by another vet tomorrow morning - that's 14 hours from now. Is that soon enough or should I move her now?
I would prefer that she be attended to more thoroughly as soon as possible.