Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My 9 year old lab started itching a couple of years ago. Was

Customer Question

My 9 year old lab started itching a couple of years ago. Was treated with advantage one application for mange. He wears a tick collar on the spring summer months. Anyway itching didn't stop so went to another vet who treated him with same stuff one dose. He was also diagnosed with multiple allergies. So we changed his food, grain free. Washed his bedding as very allergic to dust mites. Got rid of all carpets and replaced with wooden floors. Milo still very itchy, sometimes more than others. Bare belly bit and tips of ears worse. Anyway just got a puppy St Bernard a week ago and she was all fine now a bit itchy as well with a red rash on her bare belly with yellow headed spots. I have taken a picture, could this be mange or some sort of mite? She lies on his bed and shares toys etc...
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

Allergis and DEmodectic Mange are not contagious soit is doubtful that Banjo has caught anything from your present dog. Because their immune system is not mature, they are prone to staph infections which is what these yellow spots are. The staoh bacteria is normal flora on their skin and when their immune system is not mature, these can overgrow causing these and the rash from scratching. This is very common in young puppes and they will out grow this in time.

For Banjo now, apply Betadine to the spots every 8 hrs which is purchased over the counter t the pharmacy and give Banjo Benadryl at 1 mg per pound every 12 hrs to stop the itching. An over the counter cortisone creme such as Cortaid on the rash will help Banjo past this.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****
If you could send a picture, Jo, that would help.

Thanks!!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What about fox mange? Is this contagious, this is what the British Vet thought Milo might have to begin with?
I believe that Fox mange is Sarcoptes mange which is less common and is contagious ot other dogs and humans as well. It is important , Jo, that your vet proves that this is Sarcoptes rather than Demodex by a skin scraping to know if your little Banjo could catch this.
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: 25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
Thank you so much, Jo, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope poor little Banjo feels better soon!

Have a wonderful day!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you I have an appointment at the vets with her tom at 6pm so will get them to check her out :-)
Excellent, Jo....I will check on you iand Banjo in a few days.
Good morning, Jo. This is Dr. Loretta checking in on your sweet banjo. Is there any news on his condition? Thanks!