Dr. Bruce
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience:  Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience
14018973

Our 10 month old wire fox terrier has developed very loose

Our 10 month old wire fox terrier has developed very loose stools. She is healthy in every other way. Lively, happy, eating, drinking, clear eyes and cold nose. She is given puppy dried food with about a tablespoon of puppy wet food mixed in twice a day. She is one for picking up things while out or in the garden. At the moment it's small apples fallen from the tree. She mows up rabbit poo, chews bits of anything she fancies (wood, my mobile phone, shoes) She hasn't increased the amount of time she goes during a day. She has may be 3/4 treats a day. She lives with our older male who has normal stools. Should I change her food or is there something I can get for her that will help.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. I'm Dr. Bruce and I've been a small animal veterinarian for over 15 years. Thank you for your question. In a situation like this with a very happy, energetic puppy that is having loose stools - dietary indiscretion would be a very possible cause. Basically something that is being eaten that just doesn't sit well with the lower gastrointestinal tract. With all the things you've listed, that could be it. Could it be intestinal parasites like guardian or coccidiosis? Those would be considerations too. The best thing you can do at home is to try and feed a consistent diet to see if things clear up. If thy aren't, then having a stool sample evaluated by your vet is recommended. At this age, yet like to chew/ eat everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I have your answer. She has had a consistent diet, nothing different to normal her normal feeding pattern. Have also been careful not to overfeed her. It started when she vomited, but nothing untoward was seen in this. So you recommend seeing my normal vet?

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I didn't realize there was some vomiting. If that has been over 24 hours ago and since she's been eating and drinking, then it would be a better scenario. If she was continuing to vomit, then that would get me more concerned. As far as her eating the apples and the rabbit stools, these could be the random variations in her diet that is causing the loose stools.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for this. I am glad it's a better scenario and will monitor her carefully. If this persists I will take her to my regular vet.

I have one concern as it appears I've been debited 2 separate payments for your response. I agreed to pay £14 but an additional £21 has been taken. I have informed my bank about this. I have no objection to paying the £14 for your advice, but can you please cancel the £21 which I did not authorise? Can you respond please and note, I do not want to continue with any further payments.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad to have been of help. As far as the billing, that is something I don't have access too. I can forward this to the customer service for them to help clarify all this. Give this little girl and her brother some good belly rubs for me since I can't do it mysel!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

If you can forward this to the billing department I'd be most grateful. As I said, I agreed to £14 payment but not to an additional £21. Something must have gone wrong somewhere and I can't afford the two payments. Many thanks for your reply. I will certainly deliver the belly rubs. They get a lot of cuddles. Have a good day.

Expert:  Dr. Bruce replied 1 year ago.
I just saw the second question that you posted. I flagged that one for the customer service so hopefully when I do the same for this one all will be straightened out. I'm glad to have helped again. Take care!
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian
Experience: Small animal veterinarian with 15 years experience