Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

My GS ouppy(14 weeks) has starting to cry and yelp in sporadic

Customer Question

My GS ouppy(14 weeks) has starting to cry and yelp in sporadic episodes, first began yesterday did it about 5 times in total, longest cry kasting about 50 secs, today she had had 1 episodes that lasted about 1 min, she coward as though she doesn't know where pain is from, I have checked her all over; ears, feet, paws, belly, cal etc and nothing hurts when I have exined her . Initially I thought I had stood on her, or caught her as on two occasions she was neAr by, after it finishes she seems her normal self, her poi is normal, she has a wet nose and her sleep and play pattern is normal. Any ideas???
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Episodic vocalizing as you've described in the absence of other symptoms suggests central nervous system disorder such as partial seizures which are described as focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body. There is a change in mentation and/or behavioral abnormalities with complex partial seizures; not so with simple partial seizures. This is necessarily a subjective assessment but have you noticed a change in her mental status when she's vocalizing? In other words, does she still seem to be in the moment or is she non-responsive to you, dazed, confused, disoriented, etc?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the moment she seems in pain, and in the moment, she walks or cowards away and puts her head down. Been to vets today and gave full body examination with no physical signs of anything, gave real good muscular and hip check , the vet gave a pain killer jab but had no diagnosis. Since leaving the vets she has had 5 yelps of pain today all about 20/30 seconds long, at othe times she seems herself, playful and attentive. She is on dry food. She has pooed and weed normal today and as has her sleep time. The vet suggested if it continues I go back tomorrow for another chech up and maybe a blood test, but not sure what they are testing for???
Thank you for the additional information. Yes, I'm not sure for what a 14 week old would be blood tested. "Whole body" X-rays paying particular attention to the pup's spine might be considered, however. If the origin of the behavior is her central nervous system - brain or spinal cord - neither blood tests nor X-rays may "see" anything. In that case, the diagnosis can be a challenge often requiring advanced imaging such as MRI.
Please keep me posted.
Thank you for your kind accept. I appreciate it.
I can't set a follow up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update at your convenience.