Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

Restless and constant licking of nose

Restless and constant licking of nose
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your question regarding Juno. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience: Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 1 year ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your patience. There are a number of things that could be going on here with Juno, however the licking the nose symptom is typically a sign of nausea. Given Juno is likely nauseous and restless, we have to consider whether he could have early gastroenteritis, whether he could have gotten in to something, whether this could just be an anxiety response, or whether there is something else entirely going on here. Because there are such a range of potential causes for these behaviours this evening, it would be best if you can keep an eye on Juno for another hour or two if possible. Please keep a close eye on his mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate as follows:Mucus membranes - flip his lip and look at the color of his gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get him to the emergency Vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on his gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if he is continuously panting throughout the night, this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.For now - just with hold his food in case he is nauseous. Do try and convince him to drink however if you can - fresh water is best. From tomorrow morning you could try him with some cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast. This is nice and bland and would be ideal if he does indeed have a GI upset. Also make sure he is up to date with deworming treatments as well over the next week or so.I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.