How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Pet Doc Your Own Question
Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Category: Dog
Satisfied Customers: 7575
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059
Type Your Dog Question Here...
Pet Doc is online now

I think my may have taken 0.5 mg of Prograf is this harmful

Resolved Question:

I think my may have taken 0.5 mg of Prograf is this harmful to her please see information below about the drug.
Prograf (tacrolimus) lowers your body's immune system. The immune system helps your body fight infections. The immune system can also fight or "reject" a transplanted organ such as a liver or kidney. This is because the immune system treats the new organ as an invader.
Prograf is used together with other medicines to prevent your body from rejecting a heart, liver, or kidney transplant.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your question regarding your girl who has potentially ingested 0.5mg Prograf . Before I put an answer together for you, I am going to need a little more info:- When could she have ingested this potentially?- How heavy is your girl?Once you get back to me, I will start typing up my response. Thanks for this and I look forward to hearing from you shortly.Dr E
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your quick response.
She is about 25kg and she possibly swallowed it about 2 / 3 hours ago.
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your quick response. As it has been over an hour since potential ingestion, it is too late to induce vomiting now. Thankfully your girl is relatively big so hopefully we don't see any symptoms here. Potential symptoms of this ingestion could include vomiting, lethargy, diarrhea, and even a telescoping of the gut. The approximate toxic dose is 0.08mg/kg - which means theoretically we wouldn't see any symptoms in your girl unless she managed to potentially ingest 3 or 4 x 0.5mg tablets. It is quite unlikely that this potential ingestion would cause any issue, however you will need to keep a close eye on your girl. If she starts vomiting or seems lethargic in the next couple of hours up to the next 24 - 48 hours, then definitely get her seen asap. If you think she could have ingested more than one tablet, then please get her seen by your local ER vet soon so they can give her some activated charcoal to try and minimise the absorption of any more of the drug in her system. In one study looking at the drug at higher dose rates than this, an intussusception was caused several days later. If you notice your girl is off food, vomiting, or seems constipated in several days time, definitely follow up with your vet as soon as these symptoms appear. I hope this helps. Ultimately, if this was only 1 tablet ingested, then thankfully because your girl is relatively big, she should be absolutely fine in this instance. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.
Pet Doc and 3 other Dog Specialists are ready to help you