Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience.
55012488

Muscle spasms left hand front near top of leg mid pain left

Customer Question

muscle spasms left hand near front leg. Pain middle of body  left side tries to nip if touched trouble standing. When walking rear seems to swerve slightly towards left she is a labrador cross can you tell me what is causing this?

Category: Dog
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 2 years ago.
I'm Shantal and I'm a moderator for this topic.
I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still need assistance from one of the Professionals.
Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question?
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.
Aloha! You're speaking to Dr. Michael Salkin
I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. "Left hand near front leg" isn't clear to me. More than one limb is affected, however, and Sandy appears to be ataxic ("drunken sailor"). She's also painful as evidenced by her not wanting to be touched. I would expect to find a myelopathy (spinal cord disorder) such as degenerative disk disease (a "slipped disk") or tumor in or around her spinal cord but, most important, Sandy needs to have her vet take a look at her at your earliest convenience. A thorough physical and neurologic exam paying particular attention to Sandy's spine is indicated and if spinal cord compression is suspected, potent antiinflammatory drugs need to be administered promptly for her to have the best prognosis for recovery.
Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.