Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

I have a border collie named jenny.she has been over weight

i have a border collie named jenny.she has been over weight for some time,i have tried for some time to get her weight down, I have all so had several visit to vets with no luck.Jenny is seven years old,and is now showing signs of arthritis,could you please give me some advice on the best way forward. thank you mr james holt my email address ***@******.***
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.
Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.Great to think ahead with potential arthritis. The weight loss is going to be a key part of any plan to slow down the progression of arthritis. There are many prescription diet foods on the market and not all work well. I have seen the most success with Royal Canin Satiety, but some really advocate the Purina OM or the Hill's weight loss foods. For most dogs non-prescription diets do not work. As well, treats and chew items play a huge part in calories. It is also important to rule out an underlying endocrine disease like hypothyroidism or Cushing's syndrome causing her to gain weight and keep it on.Aside from weight loss, though, you should really start a high quality joint supplement with glucosamine and chondroitin +/- MSM +/- boswellia such as TRP Tricox, Dasquin, or Phycox.There are many other treatments for arthritis. If pain relief is needed, talk with your vet. Prescription is always more effective and safer. There are adequate injections to help more powerfully than oral joint supplements. Or acupuncture is very effective. There is even now stem cell therapy which works great for the right patient.If you have specific questions about type treatment then let me know.