Pet Doc
Pet Doc, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian - BVSc (DVM equivalent). Special interest in canine and feline medicine and surgery.
9138059

A 4 year old female bijon frese is whining and empty reach

A 4 year old female bijon frese is whining and empty reaching
Category: Dog
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Thanks for your question regarding your girl Lola. I am currently typing up a response and will have something for you in the next 5 - 10 minutes.Thank you for your patience.Kind Regards,Dr E
Expert:  Pet Doc replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Thank you for your patience. There are a few things that could potentially be going on here from early gastroenteritis (hence the dry heaving), to even something respiratory in nature like kennel cough (if her empty retching is actually a cough rather than a failed attempt to vomit). Hopefully your girl is all up to date with flea and worming treatments as well as vaccinations!In case this is early gastroenteritis, you are best with holding you girl's food until the morning now. From tomorrow you can start her on a bland diet of cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast and white rice for a couple of days. For tonight - make sure she has plenty of access to fresh, clean water and try and encourage her to drink! If she is turning her nose up at her regular water bowls, then try making up a fresh chicken broth for her. For this, just boil up some chicken until cooked through, scoop off the solids, allow the liquid to cool and feed her some luke-warm broth.Please keep a close eye on Lola's mucus membranes, capillary refill time and respiratory rate tonight as follows:Mucus membranes - flip her lip and look at the color of the gums. They should maintain a nice salmon pink color. Get Lola to the emergency Vet or after hours vet if they appear white or very pale pink, or if they are a dark deep red color.Capillary Refill time - this measures blood perfusion and test this by putting your thumb on her gum to apply pressure. After you release your thumb you will see the gum blanch. Capillary refill time is the amount of time it takes (in seconds) for the gum to return to a healthy pink color from the blanched white color. If 2 seconds or less don't worry - if it is taking significantly more time, again - off to the emergency Vet.Respiratory Rate - if she is continuously panting throughout the night this is a sign of shock and or pain and a signal for a trip to the emergency Vet.Continue to keep an eye on your girl and if this behavior continues overnight, but she is otherwise ok - you would be best to get her checked over by your local Vet tomorrow morning. I hope all of the above makes sense? If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks! I hope to work with you again soon!Kind Regards,Dr EPS: If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. E..." or "Pet-doc..." and others will leave the questions for me.