Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

Our 8 year old black muscular Lab seems to

Hi our 8 year old black muscular Lab seems to be limping on his left front leg . He has been like this now for over 9 months on and off.. He still eats well and runs around chasing and catching the ball ect . More recently he has been rolling on his back a lot . My wife noticed today that when she rubbed his back his legs gave way at the rear. He has not lost any weight and appears to be generally healthy... Does he have some form of arthritis or could there be something else ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr Altman and happy to assist you both today!I am so sorry no one has assisted you yet today...There are many causes of a front leg lameness including a muscle strain/ sprain to a bone chip or subluxation of a joint, any of which can result in instability of a joint and therefore arthritis formation. Most common in the front leg if there is no swelling is a muscle strain that has not been diagnosed and treated succinctly leaving your pet with a chronic lameness. Often restriction and pain medications are key to controlling the pain and inflammation in hopes of preventing further injury and aiding in healing completely. Sometimes restriction can be a few weeks while others it can mean that certain activities may need to be limited in the future (ball throwing, frisbee, agility to name a few) but once an area has been honed in on that he is having issues with, x-rays will be warranted to ensure there is no arthritis along with determining if anti inflammatories are necessary versus more chronic medications such as gabapentin or physical therapy to maintain muscling in the jointI know this is terribly confusing but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I am on-line another hour this evening (in the States) but will return tomorrow if I miss you... If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi thanks for reply He does not appear to be in any pain . We tried to just walk him.. but he does still limp . this is variable, sometimes more pronounced at other times not very noticeable . More recently he roles around a lot on his back . If you scratch his back allsorts of reflex's occur ,. he shakes himself his hind leg becomes active as if he is scratching himself and so on . There is no pain as far as we can see .. He appears to enjoy the stimulation ..Do not know whether it is related to his left front leg problem or whether it is something else.??