Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

My dog has always had sensitive skin and I was advised to give

My dog has always had sensitive skin and I was advised to give him anti histermine tablets . He now has mast cell tumours , would these tablets have contributed to his condition ?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear about Busta having mast cell tumors. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I have never seen or heard of antihistamines causing these tumors, and I have treated many dogs with antihistamines that did not get mast cell tumors. I did some research to see if I could find an association, and found none.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you ,
I just wondered as I understand that the tumours release histermines into the dogs system.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Since mast cell tumors produced histamine, we use antihistamines to try to treat and prevent mast cell tumors from growing. Since we know antihistamines can limit the growth of these tumors, it seems unlikely that they would cause mast cell tumors.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
We were typing at the same time! Yes they do release histamines.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So would it be a good idea to carry on giving these ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Have the tumors been removed? Do you know if they are grade 1, 2, or 3?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Giving antihistamines may help prevent the spread of mast cells tumors; there is no evidence they prevent future ones. If the antihistamines help with his skin condition, I would continue giving them.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how he is doing and what else I can help with or answer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
3 have been removed , they were grade 2 . He has a couple more . We have decided no more surgery as he didn't cope well and have just decided against chemo because of the side effects explained to us . He isn't 'ill' in himself .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Then I definitely would continue the antihistamines ( are you using Benadryl?), and also cimetidine. There are two kinds of histamine, H1 and H2. Benadryl only blocks H2, you need the cimetidine (Tagamet or Pepcid) to block H2. I would also consider prednisone to prevent growth and spread of the tumors.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I buy all of these over the counter ?
If so where ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
You can get Benadryl ( diphenhydramine) over the counter: 1 mg per pound; 25 mg for a 25 pound dog, 3 times daily. You can get Pepcid (famotidine) : 5 mg per 15 to 20 pounds body weight twice daily. You need a veterinarian to prescribe prednisone, it is not available over the counter. Only a veterinarian who has seen and examined him can prescribe this for Busta.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry to be a complete pest , the prescription only one , what is it ? Not a chemo drug ?
Busta is a big old boy , weighs 36kilos , so what sort of dose on all of them ?
Also should I used all 3?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
What prescription said only one?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Benadryl is an antihistamine available over the counter. Famotidine (pepcid) will block the type of histamine that Benadryl does not, H1, and is available over the counter. Prednisone can help prevent growth and spread of mast cell tumors, but you can only get it from your veterinarian.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Any drug is a "chemo drug" if used to fight cancer. We use Benadryl to help us sleep, so it is a sleep aid; we use it for allergies so it is an antihistamine, we use it for mast cell tumors so techinically is it chemotherapy as well.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry , I didn't explain myself very well .
What is prednisone ? Is it a chemo drug ?
Should I give him all 3 ?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Prednisone is a steroid, a synthetic form of a natural hormone called cortisol. It is similar to cortisone. Again, depending on its use it could be considered chemotherapy, but it is used for many things: itching, rash, treating autoimmune diseases, etc. It is not a drug used only for treating cancer, like Palladia or other drugs we think of as "chemo"
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Many thanks , will give an excellent rating
Just such a difficult time , with a beloved pet .
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
It is indeed a difficult time.You might consider a consult with a veterinary oncologist, just to learn all the options. Make it clear that chemo and further surgery are not options for you and Busta, but there may be other options. You know what YAHOO stands for, where they got that name? You Always Have Other Options.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
Let me know how he is doing and if I can help with anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.
thank for the great rating. Rebecca