Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 12yr old ***** ***** was very weak in her hind legs

My 12yr old ***** ***** bitch was very weak in her hind legs so visited the vets today where they gave her an injection for pain relief and anti sickness and prescribed metacalm to be started tomorrow. Since she's returned home her weakness has increased and seems to be dragging her back legs and is vomiting and is not interested in her food. She's panting and dribbling which is very upsetting. Do I need to take her back to the vet?
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did your vet do any testing like xrays or blood work? 2- Do you know the name of the injection she got? 3- Did the weakness in the legs come on quickly or gradually over months? 4- Is the vomiting a new symptom or she was vomiting before?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No xrays or blood work today.

Not sure what the injection was sorry.

She is quite elderly and has been stiff for some time but the falling over and dragging her legs started yesterday.

The vomiting only started on her return from the vets today (around 4pm).

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if she is dragging her back legs it sounds like she is losing the nervous input to her back legs. This can be caused by: A pinched nerve along the back as result of a bulging disc, severe arthritis of the hips or even a thromboembolic episode (stroke like). Unfortunately there is really not much I can recommend for you to try at home. The best option is taking her back to your veterinarian for a re-evaluation, consider doing some testing like xrays and blood work. In the meantime do not give her the Metacam if she is vomiting. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon! Dr. Peter