Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Dr KaraMy 13 week puppy has on/off loose stools. My vet

Hi Dr Kara My 13 week puppy has on/off loose stools. My vet req stool sample (as won't vaccinate until stool sample back- but still haven't received it (sent in 17 Aug). I'm concerned that he can't be socialised until he is vaccinated but also worried about his stools.

He is eating and drinking ok, has been wormed and de flea'd.

His stools fluctuate between dark brown and semi formed to lighter and not formed at all.  He is not allowed to go out except the back garden.  He is happy in himself and is very playful.

He has been eating Iams puppy food, chicken and rice on advice from vet.  I have since given him James Wellbeloved puppy sachets which he eats with enthusiasm.

Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about your puppy. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am sorry that your requested expert appears not to be online right now; can I be of help? I am worried by the loose stools and the blood. How soon will the stool sample report be available? Here in the US, we usually get them back the next day; 2 at the most if it is a holiday or weekend. There is a parasite, not a worm, called Coccidia that often causes diarrhea with blood and mucus, and usually responds to a course of medication. I would check with your vet office, ask when that report is in, and if it is still pending, whether a course of Albon or metronidazole could be tried until the report is back. You can try giving him probiotics, beneficial bacteria supplements. I like ones made for dogs, like Fortiflora and Proviable. Culturelle is made for people, and can be used for dogs. It sounds like he is basically healthy, and I can understand your wanting to socialize him. I hope you get the stool sample results soon. Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Rebecca. The sample should take 5 days but is still pending. Once the results are back I will know what to do but my vet isn't very forthcoming with information. If I don't hear by tomorrow, I will chase again for an answer.

Thanks for your advice.

Trudi

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome. Let me know how he is doing and if I can help with anything else.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and the bonus. Do let me know how he is doing.