Rebecca
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Have a cross bred collie 10 years old, has suddenly got a large

have a cross bred collie 10 years old, has suddenly got a large sore on his head. We do live in new forest where several dogs have died with some bug they pick up in the water, should I be worried.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am sorry to hear you are worried about Diesel. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. You are probably referring to "Alabama Rot", the disease that is causing skin lesions, kidney failure, and death in dog in New Forest. From my research, the skin lesions usually start on the legs. However, they are recommending dogs with skin lesions be checked by a blood test to be sure kidney function is normal. How long has the sore been there? Is it itchy to him? You could try applying topical antibiotics like Neosporin or triple antibiotic to the sore, and if it is itchy, a topical cortisone cream. However, my research shows that veterinarians in your area are recommending that dogs with skin lesions be checked as soon as possible to be sure that they do not have kidney complications. Let me know what other questions you have. Rebecca
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating. Please let me know how he is doing.