Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
36050890

Dog that does not want to go out .Can grind its teeth

Dog that does not want to go out for walks.Can grind its teeth and shake when she goes outside
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help answer your question about Kerry. I'm so sorry she's having trouble, but glad you are looking for the information you need. You may join this conversation at any time by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. That way we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you've taken some pretty big steps already to try to help Kerry with this problem. I'm sorry it hasn't worked. The good news I have for you is there are a lot of options that can be tried for a dog with severe anxiety or phobia issues. I'm very hopeful that at least one of them will work for her.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I understand you've tried a dog psychologist already. I'm sorry that didn't work. I'd encourage you to work with a veterinarian in conjunction with a *behaviorist*. That will allow Kerry to receive the benefit of behavioral techniques along with the help that certain medications can offer. Unfortunately, there is no "quick fix" for a problem like this, but with a few weeks or months of work and the right medication, it is likely you and Kerry will get the relief you need.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
A variety of medications are used in situations like this: fluoxetine, clompiramine, alprazoloam, diazepam, and others. These are all prescription medications and most take several weeks to start working, but with the assistance of your veterinarian you should be able to find a plan that works for Kerry.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Some over-the-counter options you may also want to try include herbal remedies like Rescue Remedy and Bach's Flowers. I'm also a really big fan of DAP (dog appeasing pheromone).
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
DAP is a calming pheromone that helps dogs remain calm and control anxious and phobic feelings. It comes in a spray, diffuser, or collar.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
This is an example of the variety of DAP products that are available on the market. Again, it won't work overnight, but it can make a big difference.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
In the long run, with the assistance of your veterinarian, a behaviorist, natural products like DAP and herbs, and medications like clomipramine, I'm very hopeful you'll be able to enjoy walks with Kerry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have already tried, the dog collars, we must have had 6 of them, and we have also tried the flower remedies. This dog just wants to stay in its cage and sleep. Its quality of life is not good. Can you please help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It eats well enough, in fact it is getting fat. This is our fourth dog, and the only one that has been fat.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
I'm so sorry the collar didn't help, or the flower remedies. It sounds like you'll need to be more aggressive and use prescription medications and the help of a behaviorist. It has to be awful to see her this way. I understand; my dog has severe storm phobia and I've been desperate for help too. At one point I worried I'd have to euthanize him because the suffering was so bad. He now takes one medication twice a day, every day, and another during storms. Rest assured help IS available.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Also, if Kerry is just staying in her cage and sleeping, I'm worried she may be otherwise ill. It's very important to have a thorough veterinary examination and necessary blood work done to determine if there is an underlying problem. This may not be just a phobia.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
She might have thyroid disease, or some other issue causing this behavior, for example.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This all started about a year ago, when a gun shot went off. We live by a moor, and there has been shooting since we got her as a pup. It is also very stressful for her to go to the vet, in fact he had to come to the house to see her last time. When we take her to the vet she turns into jelly , pants and shakes.
Expert:  Dr. Jo replied 1 year ago.
Wow. It really sounds like she's having a terrible time. I would advise a housecall again, to do the physical examination and collect blood for the necessary tests. Then your vet will be able to make decisions on which types of medication to prescribe and get her on a plan that is most likely to help.
I hope I've answered your question to your satisfaction. My goal is to be as helpful as possible. If you're satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to ACCEPT my answer and rate my response. Your positive feedback is very important to me because without it I receive no credit for helping you.
If you are not satisfied, please let me know how else I may be of assistance.
Dr. Jo, Veterinarian
Experience: DVM from Iowa State University in 1994; actively engaged in private regular and emergency practice since that time.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am truly at my wits end. The pleasure of owning this dog, is disappearing, and I am being left terribly sad. I will explore what you have suggested again! I am sorry , I just hoped you would come up with a miracle cure. Anyway thankyou for your help.