Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

Ever since a thunder storm last weekend my dog, a 9-year old

Customer Question

Ever since a thunder storm last weekend my dog, a 9-year old Lurcher, has been showing signs of panic attacks. During the storm she was panting and shivering. Now if it clouds over or rains she begins shaking and sometimes panting. She wont eat during these attacks, but is fine as soon as the sun shines. She is a rescue dog who I have had since this Easter.
We had a thunderstorm before this summer but it didn't seem to affect her this way.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 years ago.
Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question. Skye must be a very sensitive girl and this storm has traumatized her causing great fear. This is a common trait in some dogs. They develop fears that cause extreme anxiety similar to those anxieties of humans. The only way to get Skye over this is "Desensitization" which means constant exposure until she realizes that these fears will not hurt her. To do this, first avoid these while making her comfortable in his situation. You may need help in doing this since when you try, as you have experienced, she is too afraid to understand. Purchase a DAP Collar at the pet store. This is a canine pheromone that acts as a calming agent and will decrease anxiety.Thundershirts are useful since this is one of the most common fears causing extreme anxiety and can be very effective. If this is not enough, your vet will have medication to help her past this. Take Skye to your vet for an exam to be sure there is not a medical cause for this and ask about anti anxiety medication such as Fluoxetine or Buspirone. Then expose her to the things she fears over and over, constantly talking in a soft voice and giving treats when he does something positive. Here is a site with more tips:http://www.petplace.com/dogs/fear-of-thunder-sounds-or-noises/page1.aspx Does that make sense to you? Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you. Sincerely, ***** *****
Thank you so much, Helen, for your kind rating. It is very much appreciated! Even though you have rated, we can still communicate. If you have other questions, please Reply. I am always happy to help. I hope this helps sweet Skye!

Have a wonderful day!