Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

We have a 6 yr old GSD with occasional loose stools usually

We have a 6 yr old GSD with occasional loose stools usually from eating some people thing he shouldn't ! However after feeding rice and ID thought he was back to normal and restarted large breed white fish and rice kibble plus ID however this morning back to loose stools . He seems quite happy in self no vomiting or fever , what do we do now ??
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am sorry for the delay in response. If you would like to continue can you please answer a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. 1- Any blood in the stool? 2- How much does he weigh? 3- Any pre existing medical conditions? 4- Any other symptoms?There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No blood in stool , he usually weighs 42 kilograms. He occasionally has itchy fee which I treat with bathing in Hibiscrib and Mushers ointment . Apart from occasional tummy upsets he is quite healthy . He is our fourth GSD all have been prone to upset tummies .
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend certainly diarrhea can be caused by dietary indiscretion. Other common causes are: Intestinal parasites, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. This is what you can do:1- Pepto Bismol (bismuth) 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days. You can buy Pepto Bismol over the counter in any pharmacy (chemist). 2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have him checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter