Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 8wk old King Charles has diarrhoea which is has mucus

Hi my 8wk old King Charles has diarrhoea which is has mucus in it .i have wormed her with panacur as the breeder said she needed to be wormed is there anything I can give her to help she is eating and drinking and is very playful yours Toni
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry the expert you requested is not available. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- How long has this been going on? 2- Did she have diarrhea when you gave the panacur? 3- How long has it been since you gave her panacur? 4- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
For about 3days now , she was loose before the panacur but not like she is now , she had the last dosage today which was given over 3 days my son has her sister and we wormed her same and she as being ok she did helpl her self to my other dogs food which iis James well beloved puppy Turkey with rice puppy so didn't think this would upset her to much
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
Toni, the presence of mucus and diarrhea is a sign of inflammation in the colon. Certainly parasites and dietary indiscretion are likely causes. This is what you can do: 1- Pepto bismol (bismuth) 1/4 teaspoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days. 2- Change her diet to rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular puppy diet. 3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store. 4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your help will do what you recommend it have an appointment with vets next week on the 1/9 once again many thanks
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 years ago.
You're welcome. :)