Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My springer spaniel has had diahorea since midnight we have

Customer Question

my springer spaniel has had diahorea since midnight we have not fed her just given her water but she is now bringing that up to
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice. There may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my replies as I type out a thorough reply for you. 1- Did she get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary? 2- Any pre existing medical conditions? 3- How much does she weigh? 4- Is she drinking more than usual? 5- Any other symptoms?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Yes she ate some waste food yesterday evening

2. She has no pre existing medical problems

3. not sure she is rated as average weight by vet

4. She has not drunk anymore but is drinking in large amounts each time and is almost immediately bringing it up

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Do you know what waste food she ate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was a homemade bolognase

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Is she lethargic?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes and she has been shivering indoors

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Give me a few minutes while I type your answer. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, the symptoms and history you are describing in Holly are consistent with pancreatitis (inflammation of the pancreas) or it can be a bad case of gastroenteritis. I would strongly recommend having her checked by family veterinarian to rule out pancreatitis as it can be fatal if not treated. In the meantime this is what you can do:1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Zantac (ranitidine) 75mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours. You can buy Zantac over the counter in any pharmacy.2- No food or water for 12-16 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. 3- After 12-16 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. 4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!Dr. Peter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

With no water will she be hydrated ok?

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
Friend, if she is vomiting and continues to drink she will continue to vomit which she won't be able to absorb the water and also loose electrolytes in the vomit. Ideally, she should be placed on IV fluids. For now, the first thing to do is address the vomiting so that when you do offer water she is able to absorb it. Plus, it is important to give the pancreas time to rest if the pancreas is inflamed.
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience: 16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your help

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome.