Dr. Matt
Dr. Matt, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM - 13 years experience in canine medicine and surgery.
58825837

My yorkie dog is showing signs of constipation

my yorkie dog is showing signs of constipation
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Hello - I am Dr. Matt - I would be glad to help you with your question. When is the last time that Millie had a bowel movement?Is she having any diarrhea?Any vomiting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no diarrhea she has been having trouble for a few days

Expert:  Dr. Matt replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear that Millie is constipated. The most common cause of constipation in younger dogs is from something foreign that is stuck in the large intestine such as a piece of bone, stick, or something from the house that she has ingested. True constipation is also possible in which her stool is too firm or large to pass out easily. Here are some suggestions to hopefully help her with the constipation: - You can give her some milk. Dog's are naturally lactose intolerant therefore milk can cause the stool to loosen up. I would recommend about 1/2 of a cup to drink daily for constipation. - If this does not help you could also add some fiber to her food. My suggestion would be canned pumpkin. The pumpkin seeds you tried are a good source of fiber though canned pumpkin is even better. The dose for this is 1/2 tablespoon of the pumpkin every 24 hours. Many dogs will actually eat this which helps to push their stools out better. - If she will not eat the pumpkin or this does not help then you could purchase a laxative called Colace or docusate sodium from the local store. This is very safe for dogs and quite effective. The dose is about 50 mg every 12 hours. Overall if none of these are helping then you may want to contact your vet for more help as Millie may need a prescription laxative to relieve her constipation or even an enema. Hope this helps to answer your question - if not or if you have any more questions please feel free to reply. Thank you for your question.