Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

I have an 11 year old Mastiff/Ridgeback cross that my local

I have an 11 year old Mastiff/Ridgeback cross that my local vet diagnosed with arthritis to the front leg. They gave me metacam to administer but this made no difference, then they gave me Onsior Robenacoxib, again did not seem to make any difference. They then advised an X-ray would be the next step (last Tuesday) but could not do this until the coming Wednesday. She has got a lot worse in the last week and can now hardly walk and seems to be in constant pain. i cannot now take her to the vets as she can't walk there and i can't pick her up as this hurts her to much.
Category: Dog
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
Hello Michael, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today. I'm so sorry to hear about this issue with your dog. Given her age, I, too, would have suspected arthritis but if she hasn't responded to the drugs which you mention, then I'd be worried that there might be something else going on such as a problem with her spine or even cancer, although it gives me no pleasure to say so. Since she's in so much pain which makes a trip to your vet problematic, I'd contact your vet and ask them to prescribe or dispense pain medication such as Tramadol and/or Gabapetin. Since she has been recently been seen by them, there shouldn't be a problem with providing these drugs for her...at least it wouldn't be a problem if I were her vet.These drugs work very quickly so if her pain is managed or controlled , you should be able to transport her for x-rays. I hope this helps although I know it must be difficult for you to see her in such discomfort. Deb
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 2 years ago.
I just wanted to thank you for your rating; it's greatly appreciated. I also wanted to wish you the best with your dog. Kindest regards, Deb